Sunday 26 August 2012

Did you take your vitamins today?




"A caterpillar is letting itself down on a thread, twirling slowly like a rope artist, spiraling towards his chest. It's a luscious, unreal green, like a gumdrop, and covered with tiny bright hair. Watching it, he feels a sudden, inexplicable surge of tenderness and joy. Unique, he thinks. There will never be another caterpillar just like this one. There will never be another such moment of time, another such conjunction. These things sneak up on him for no reason, these flashes of irrational happiness. It's probably a vitamin deficiency. - Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake (2003) 

These caterpillars are from Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai. It is purely due to a lack of effort that at the moment I am unable to call them by their given names. That is my one failing. Even though for years I have been captivated by caterpillars. As proof I present a post I wrote sometime back.

No comments: