Saturday 3 March 2012

Solitary People




Some people are so used to solitude with themselves that they never compare themselves to others, but spin forth their monologue of a life in a calm, joyous mood, holding good conversations with themselves, even laughing. But if they are made to compare themselves with others, they tend to a brooding underestimation of their selves; so that they have to be forced to learn again from others to have a good, fair opinion of themselves. And even from their learned opinion they will always want to detract or reduce something.
Thus one must grant certain men their solitude, and not be silly enough, as often happens, to pity them for it.

From 'Man Alone with Himself' by Friedrich Nietzsche.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer to be alone whether I am watching tv, browsing the internet or shooting arrows with my bow. It is the way I have always been and I used to think that it is wrong. I look at it this way, when I need assistance from anyone, I seek it. When it is my time to die, no one else will come on my journey of death with me. I can laugh loudly at comedies alone. No inflated ego's to listen to....BLISS!

Anvita Lakhera said...

“Solitude is painful when one is young, but delightful when one is more mature.”– Albert Einstein :)

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I really appreciate it. Solitude is often confused with loneliness, perhaps, therein lies the error.

I always feel that it is in solitude that we are truly who we are. Marcus Aurelius said it is the one place where man can find 'untroubled retreat.' That's why, I suppose, all great ideas in this world have come from people living in 'busy solitude.' Though one does need other people to share those great ideas with.

So Balzac was onto something when he said, solitude is fine but you need someone to tell you that solitude is fine.

Solitude is fine :)

Wishing you all the best.